My continuous search for a Holy Grail Foundation

Hello!

Foundations are tricky. You need to find one that matches your skin tone and works well with your skin type. I personally find it hard to find a good foundation because I have a deep tan-ish coloring which is very hard to match. Also, I’m very acidic so even the darkest foundation would look light on me. Oh and don’t get me started on my skin type! I have the oiliest skin ever! I used to say that if I could harvest the oil on my face and sell it, I’ll be a billionaire by now! Of course that’s an exaggeration and utterly gross! Haha. But I seriously have oily skin that I go through oil control sheets so fast!

In my continuous search for my “holy grail” foundation, I’ve read quite a lot of reviews on two high-end foundations that I’ve been thinking of purchasing.

C360_2014-05-24-19-23-26-508

One foundation that I’ve been thinking of splurging on is the NARS Sheer Matte Foundation. I’ve heard a lot of great things about NARS foundations in general. I’ve also heard that the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation works well for oily skin types. Ingrid of MissGlamorazzi, who has oily skin, actually prefers the Sheer Glow to the Sheer Matte. She actually did a comparison video on it.

I went to the mall to get a sample of this foundation and the person at the counter matched me to the shade Fiji. I think this shade is too light but the sales person said that it would work well on my acidic skin. I’m kinda confused because I’ve been told before that I need to get a foundation that is one shade darker because I’m acidic. But the person at the NARS counter said that I should get a lighter foundation. Which is which? I’m really confused about this.

Another foundation that I’m thinking of buying is the Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation. EmilyNoel83, who is one of my favorite YouTubers ever, loves this foundation! I actually first heard about this foundation from her and she swears by it! I also got a sample of this foundation and the counter assistant matched me to the shade Cashew. This shade is actually more or less the exact match of my skintone. Now, this confuses me even more. I told the counter assistant that I’m acidic but she told me that this shade would still work for me. This skin acidity thing is really confusing me. I need to research more on this.

I’m excited to try out this foundation and test which works better on me! I think I’ll do a couple of blog posts of me wearing this foundation and my thoughts about these foundations. I’m glad that I was able to get samples of these foundations because they’re quite expensive. It would be a waste to buy a full size foundation bottle and realize that they don’t work well on my skin.

What are your holy grail foundations? I’m also on the lookout for a holy grail drugstore foundation. So if you have suggestions, please let me know!

Xoxo!

Advertisements

27 thoughts on “My continuous search for a Holy Grail Foundation

1. Nancy says:

I finally settled on Dior Forever broad spectrum SPF 25. It’s pricey at $49 for 1.2 ounces, but a tiny bit goes a long way and it mattifies beautifully. I also use a primer that controls shine/oil. It’s 0C8 professional mattifying gel, I found it through birch box. It’s stood up to 115 degree heat last summer so I bought the full size. I think it goes for $35 in the birch box shop. When I’m not using the Dior foundation I use a med/full coverage BB cream by IPKN New York. You can find that one on beautybar . com. I look forward to seeing your future posts on the choices you made πŸ™‚

• beautybloggergoddess says:

Thanks for your recommendations, Nancy! I’m not sure thought if the Dior foundation is available here in the Philippines. But, I’ll have to look it up online! This foundation sounds amazing!

• beautybloggergoddess says:

I can tell I’m acidic because even the darkest foundation shade will eventually look light on me a little while after I apply the foundation. I am not sure what acidity level my skin is in, though. Hehe. What foundation are you currently loving right now? πŸ™‚

2. Rae says:

I’m not too sure about acidity. They say there’s an oxidation factor where the foundation turns a few shades darker if you’re acidic. All rumors, I don’t know. I would have to read about it from a formulator. “Oxidize” and “Acid” are more for the chemists.

Anyway, there are dark foundations that look ashy on me, especially of they’re not yellow enough or if they’re more on the beige or pinky side. I think this is a common problem for brown and black people. Even the darkest foundations look ashy. I think that’s why many people love the Ben Nye powders. It may not be the best setting powder but it sure tones down ashiness.

• beautybloggergoddess says:

I’ve been told I’m acidic because darker foundations tend to look light on me. You know, all these things about acidity and oxidation confuse the hell out of me! I’m just looking for a foundation that would blend well on my skin and control oiliness as well. I’ve tried the Ben Nye Banana powder but it didn’t work well on my SUPER oily skin!

3. Nikki says:

I read somewhere that being acidic will turn the foundation darker(?). I’m not sure, I haven’t really grasped the whole concept either. Hehe

4. Matromao says:

I’m also confused about the whole acidity thing. I don’t notice any changes in my foundation color within a couple of hours of applying, so perhaps I’m not acidic.

I have, however, experienced purchasing a foundation that looked fine in the store and while I was walking around the mall. When I started using it at home, it looked a little too light. I should have asked for a few pumps and conducted a comprehensive lighting test, but it’s not too bad.

• beautybloggergoddess says:

I think it’s best to ask for samples of a foundation before purchasing. Especially if that foundation is expensive! Atleast you can try the foundation at home and not just in the mall. Perhaps the mall’s lighting is different than your house’s lighting? Xoxo!

5. Hollie Damz says:

I’ve been thinking of buying Nars Sheer Glow for some time now, but It’s pricey so I keep changing my mind. LOL

I have tried the Estee Double Wear Foundation and it’s uuuhhhhmmmaazzzing for special occassions! you will absolutely look flawless with that and it lasts all day long! Though I do not recommend it for everyday use, coz it tends to cause breaksouts if used frequently. I prefer to use it on special days. ^_^
    Random Beauty by Hollie

• beautybloggergoddess says:

Hello Hollie! Yes, the NARS foundations are expensive! I almost even bought the Estee Lauder DW foundation right away coz it’s cheaper! Haha. But, I’m still testing out the samples that I got. So far, I haven’t been breaking out with the Estee Lauder foundation. πŸ™‚

6. thebeautyarchive says:

I absolutely love NARS sheer glow, I have dry- normal skin now but I’ve used this for years even when my skin was rather oily and I loved it as well back then. I also got the recommendation from Ingrid as well haha. Just to let you know though fro both foundations they don’t come with pumps and NARS sells one for their bottles, I highly suggest you get one if you decide on that foundation, and I’ve heard that MAC pumps fit on ester lauder bottles, I have the double wear as well I just haven’t gotten a pump for it yet.
    XOXO
    Veronica

• beautybloggergoddess says:

Hi Veronica! Yeah, it’s a bummer that they have to sell the pump separately! Haha. If I get the NARS foundation, I think I will get a pump. I hate it when foundation bottles don’t have pumps. πŸ™‚

7. Samantha Penninipede says:

I’ve never heard of skin being acidic before! That sounds like it’s so difficult to deal with! It’s great that you got to try some free samples. For some reason, whenever I go to the department store, they always say they “can’t give out samples” or “they have no samples to give out” (which is BS, and unfair). I don’t wear foundation, but I wish you best of luck on your search!

• beautybloggergoddess says:

Hi Samantha! I think department stores should give out samples. It’s their way of letting customers know that they are confident with the products that they are selling and would want the customers to try it out for sure. I’m glad the department store I went to gave out samples. Though I was shy to ask at first because I wasn’t sure if they do give out samples! Xoxo! πŸ™‚